Ania Designs

Love silk, lace, pretty things...even more, loving to use those in order to help fight injustice in the world. If only a tiny bit at a time. (Photo courtesy Benjamin Images)

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Textiles as Art

Maybe it's just me, but lately I have run into people who don't really get that textiles are art. Or, they believe textiles just aren't as artistic as, say, a painting or pottery.

Now, I understand first that not all people are artistic at the heart. I also understand that not all artists use the same media, this is obvious. When a painter sees a blank canvas, I'm pretty sure they have a vivid picture in their mind as to what belongs on it, and what message they long to convey. When a potter throws pot, they begin to shape and form sometimes before they even know what they're shaping it into. That's pretty sweet.

It's the same concept with me when I see an extraordinary bolt of fabric. Different lines, seams, patterns begin running through my mind until something clicks. Ask anybody who has been shopping with me if I touch, weigh, and sometimes even smell every piece of clothing or yard of fabric that I consider. Yes, it may be slightly funny at times, but it's where my art begins.

No comments: